Friday, February 20, 2009

Dissident Discipleship

I just finished reading "Dissident Discipleship" by David Augsburger and have been pondering something that he says. I am not sure if I agree with this or not, and that is causing me to get frustrated with what I believe.

Augsburger is an Anabaptist who believes in non-violence, but also believes that anyone who supports anyone or anything that supports violence is an apostate.

Websters defines an apostate as follows:
1. One who has forsaken the faith, principles, or party, to which he before adhered; esp., one who has forsaken his religion for another; a pervert; a renegade.
or
2. One who, after having received sacred orders, renounces his clerical profession.

Here is my issue, I am in the military and serve my government, my country, my state, my city, my church and my family by being in the military. I know great Christians who serve and who have served in the military. But I also believe that non-violence and love for ones neighbor is the highest standard we have been given by Christ as what we should aim for.

So, what do you think about Augsburger's definition of a person who supports their government and Websters definition of apostate, and does that apply to every person who serves in the military or even serves in a public post?

This is an interesting topic that is causing me some heart-burn as I believe you can be a mature Christian and still serve your country.

Am I an apostate?

No comments: